Signage in the beginning
Signage in the beginning as we know it now may be traced back to the Greek and Roman empires. As a result of widespread illiteracy, their signage relied on pictures rather than words to distinguish between various commercial and government establishments. The passage of time resulted in an increase in the complexity of the signs, which were characterized by the use of hand-carved wood, vibrant paint, and gold engraving. Because population expansion in cities was so rapid at one time, the size and positioning of signage became a source of contention, which led to the creation of regulations that specified the maximum allowable sign size and the locations where it might be shown. In due time, the advent of the Industrial Revolution allowed for the mass manufacture of signs, which are now used in almost all facets of the economy.
Electricity, which was developed in the late 1800s, ushered in the most significant shift in commercial signage ever. Early on, the most significant influence came from incandescent lamps. Signs may be illuminated by lights, making them visible even at night, and lights could also be used to draw customers’ attention in modern casino sites, movie theaters, and retail establishments. As a result of the invention of plastics, the manufacturing of printed signs in large quantities became a lot quicker and less expensive, which expanded their usage to every area of the economy.
During the 1800s, the advent of light caused major changes in business practices. In the early days of illuminated signs, casinos and movie theaters were the first to use the technology. They used gas-lit signage at that time period to advertise. The light bulb, invented in 1879, made it feasible to illuminate signs with electricity instead of gas. Using light as a source of illumination increased in popularity since it was a considerably less risky option. Neon signs were widely used for the first time in the 1920s. Due to the fact that gas-powered neon signs had replaced electric lights, gas lights had re-established themselves as the industry standard by 1930.
However, due to the frequent occurrence of fires and other mishaps, this was only used for a brief time before being replaced with more cost-effective and simpler to maintain electric lighting. When plastics and fluorescent lights were first introduced in the post-World War II era, the market for business signs was very competitive.